TSTAT10 Setup with USB/485 Convertor

Just received TSTAT10. Had various troubles during the initial test.

Major issues now are:

1. Cannot load the program to the device. It keeps giving me “timeout” error
  2. T3000 is very unstable to connect the device. Updated to most recent T3000, it is better. But communication drops frequently. Once it drops, the only way to “discover” the device is to: recycle the power, and scan again

I simply cannot pass the stage of “programming” this device, although I was able to manipulate: inputs, outputs, variables, and some of communication related settings.

I tried the following 2 hardware connection schemes:

1. PC - USB/485 convertor - TSTAT10 powered by 24VDC → not success do programming!
  2. PC - T3 Nano 485 Main - TSTAT10 powered by 24VDC → not success do programming!

I need help to pass this “programming” stage, I believe it should be the case. Then, the pending questions will be:

1. Replace ambient display to something else, i.e., reading from another analog input
  2. Replace subsequent 3 displays with other analog inputs
  3. “Rotate” the 3 smaller displays with all analog inputs and variables, as the number of these inputs/variables are more than 3
  4. Replace scrolling message with something else
  5. Change icons at bottom of the screen

In summary: now I need your help to resolve timeout on downloading program …

Update: Tested T3-TB thru Ethernet. It is much stable without any issues.

However, whenever using RS485, T3000 is simply cannot handle very well. “Write” function on RS485 fails most of time. It happens to Tstat10, either connected with USB/485 convertor, or connected with T3-TB main/sub 485.

Writing and downloading a program to Tstat10 is impossible. I need your help ASAP.

Update: Downloaded most up-to-date release, I can write and send the programs now. GOOD Job!

I am going to explore the remaining questions, as stated in previous post:

1. Replace ambient display to something else, i.e., reading from another analog input
  2. Replace subsequent 3 displays with other analog inputs
  3. “Rotate” the 3 smaller displays with all analog inputs and variables, as the number of these inputs/variables are more than 3
  4. Replace scrolling message with something else
  5. Change icons at bottom of the screen

Phew, lots of posts there. Often when you cannot get stable RS485 connection its due to competing resources of your serial port. Be sure to shut down all other applications that might be working on the COM port. Simplify the test setup as much as possible, one device only at a slower baud rate, modbus protocol is the default protocol on our devices.

The Tstat10 is a powerful little controller for the price but we’re at the beginning stages about what can be done on the user interface. You have three variables ‘hardwired’ to the keypad and menu system which you can configure as either a multi state or an analog variable and that’s about it. We’re slowly adding features as the requests come in (there’s a lot and we’re busy).

If you’re impatient and know your way around a C compiler you can download the source code and add your own features. If its something other folks can use we’ll be glad to accept contributions. Send us an email and we’ll add you to the project.