Troubleshooting Modbus subnet communications with the T3-Nano

Hi Pierre ,

please follow my steps to set your devices on hand ,

1. Update T3000 to the lastest version .

2. Update T3_Nano to REV50.9 .

3. T3_Nano and T3_PT12 join into your local network , click “discover” button , T3_Nano and T3_PT12 will be shown under local network tree .

set Nano RS485 Main to Modbus master , baud rate : 115200 ,Default Modbus ID : 1

change T3_PT12 protocol to modus , baud rate : 115200 ,Default ID: 254 .

unplug T3_PT12 network cable , delete t3000 database all nodes .

1. AQ configuration , protocol :modbus , baud rate: 115200 ,Default ID:254 ,I changed to ID=6 .

2. Connect PT12 and AQ to Nano RS485 main and click “discover” button , TB,PT12 and AQ are shown under local network tree , you can conveniently contol each device .

3. How to load AQ to default Factory mode .
    Modbus poll wirte REG169=259 ,REG170=139,REG178=0 .

please download my detailed steps PDF file from the following link

1 Like

we would like bacnet here spring.

Maurice Duteau

Hello @Temco_Spring & @maurice

Thanks for your work and feedback.
I will check and apply your procedure tomorrow.

There are other priorities for this evening due to Covid-19…

I will keep you informed …

Pierre

Hello,

I could not wait longer before trying your procedure

Step 1 to 3 are almost working (except ID change from 250 to 254)

but i dont think that address are a critical condition.

hbecifhecgenpenn.png

njinccocdoeababe.png

forced to send text as picture, sorry

Spring will help again on Monday. Don’t burn a lot of time on this till then, work on the programming or some other part of the project.

Ok …good idea…
I was wondering if ordering one T3-LB and one more AQ could help to go further with other product and exclude some hardware problem with the nano and the AQ I have from here…
If you agree with this idea, could it be possible that the component I would ordered are configured and tested together by Spring before sending them to me.

I will put the focus on testing the Metz module with USB/rs485.
I can connect them directly to the raspberry PI and manage them from codesys softPLC or any modbus master software running on a computer.
I also bought a waveshare RS485 to ETH … will check if this can be configured to do the basic routing task from Modbus TCP to Modbus RTU…
I will keep you informed of the results

just be careful that not all RS485 to ETH devices/routers support ModbusTCP to ModbusRTU routing. Whatever router you buy must specifically support the Modbus routing.
good luck

1 Like

Hello @amigo

I should have checked this before…
It seems that you are right, the RS485 to ETH I bought seems useless for modbus routing

The good news was that the USB RS485 is simpler as soon as you connect properly, it is working
I finally succeed to connect my Metz connect triac output module on the main subnet of nano.
I am able to drive them from the modbus poll but not from the control basic program .

So I worked more on the rasberry PI interface using Codesys with modbus and from there I can finally manage my triac output directly.

So for the moment, my idea to manage the PWM on the nano in the control basic is in standby.

So the only problem is still the AQ that can be seen by the Nano program
As I could see It in the past with modbus poll, I am sure that nano should make its routing job
The only problem is to get it back on modbus RTU.

I hope that @Temco_Spring can help me tomorrow with this task…

Hi Pierre ,
Please follow my steps as follows to temporarily change the AQ communication protocol from BACnet MSTP to Modbus .
1.First do a direct connection from your PC to the AQ over RS485, just the AQ sensor and your PC connecting for now.

Depending on your previous tests & settings you will see AQ, in my example we’re operating at a baud rate of 57600 and the protocol is Bacnet MSTP .

1. Switch the protocol from BACnet MSTP to Modbus and then set the baud rate to 115200.

2. Now, do the same for the T3-PT12, set it to Modbus 115200 as well. Now you can connect both devices to the T3_Nano RS485 main port, they will work at the same communiation protocol (Modbus)and baud rate of 115200. The T3-Pt12 will show up as expansion IO.

3. You can now connect your Metz triac controller to the T3-Nano subnet over Bacnet.

4. There is an issue we were able to see for the AQ when communicating under Bacnet, we’ll sort that out and push new firmware shortly.

1 Like

Thanks for the procedure…
I will this this evening.
I hope that T3000 can see AQ again…
Could you check on your side that AQ signal can be read from a control basic program running in the Nano.

Is there any procedure to save a complete T3000 database setup to retrieve it later when something wrong occurs?
[Moderator] Yes of course, from T3000 navigate to the device you want to back up and then hit File - > Save as, the resulting *.prog file has all your settings and prgramming.

Some times there is a discrepancy between T3000 database and the nano… for example yesterday I saw PRG1 ON with the byte length of the program in the program list but when I clicked on program button, I took a abnormal long time before programming windows appeared and the program was empty…

[Moderator] Haven’t seen this before, could be that the program is getting long or somehow corrupted, save to a text file and we can have a look. You can save just the programming in a text file by from file-> Save as → *.txt from inside the editor.

So how to just save a complete project including IO definition, variable definition, comm configuration, …program definition and content, schedule, controllers and load the whole package later in the nano when I want?

[Moderator] T3000 → File → Save

Hello Spring
I could finally put AQ back on the network but problems are not solved.
Nano is not able to read AQ registers.
Or my syntax is wrong
Please check my detailed report sent by mail

@maurice & @Temco_Spring

My report sent by mail to the forum is not displayed here…
So trying to send it with my iPad …AQ recovering on Modbus and testing.pdf (732.2 KB)

Hello Maurice & Spring

Here are the detailed results of my tests on AQ with help of your

procedure

AQ recovering on Modbus and testing.pdf (732 KB)

@maurice & @Temco_Spring

I also tested AQ communication trough the routing of the Nano with my RPI using modbus on Codesys.

Reading registers 136 and 137 is working well using modbus function 3
Writing registers 168 & 169 is only working using modbus function 6 ( single register write)
Multiple register writing (16) or read/ write (23) is not working.

Where can I find the list of modbus function supported by Temco modbus slaves especially ?
[Moderator] Search for ‘Network Programming’ on this forum, there are some examples there. The AQ only supports register level commands.

My idea with AQ module was capability to preset setpoint remotely using schedule or HMI interface on my iPad using codesys HMI or later Openhab dashboard but having also capability of local display and temporary change from AQ keypad.
So I need to be able to write SP to AQ but read the modified SP when adjusting on keypad, thank you to confirm it is possible .
[Moderator] Not sure if that is a feature of the AQ but we can add it, there’s the ‘RTS-Node’ which is more like what you describe.

Not sure that switching AQ to bacnet will help for this, but it should be ok if nano control basic program could then manage the SP from AQ.

Thanks for your feedback.

Checked again the keypad before going to sleep.

Setpoint tuning through keypad is still impossible but configuration of ID, baudrate, protocol trough local secret menu is now available .

The AQ doesn’t have the setpoint feature but we can add it, allow a week or so though. Things are very backed up here at Temco

Hello Spring,
I had this SP feature at the first time I connected AQ on the network.
I was able to adjust Temperature SP, humidity SP and CO2 SP from the keypad.
That was working properly until I tried to change the baudrate and protocol to get the ability to read the values from Nano in control basic.
At that time, the Temp SP was forced to 0 and was not allowed to increase nor from keypad nor from T3000 when connection was sometimes ok. Humidity SP was always allowed to change from keypad … I changed it yesterday after reconnecting using your procedure to check the communication.
After the factory setting reset, this tuning setpoint capability disappeared… I don’t know how to reactivate it. That seems to be just a software problem…perhaps some parameter to change from the modbus poll tool.

I understand my report was quite long but I tried to give details so that you can understand where is my problem and avoid further problem to other user by improving the software and the user manual.

My priority is now to check the capability of read/ write from nano to AQ and Triac output otherwise, nano will be used only as a routing device…

We’re really backed up with a couple urgent projects but will turn our attention to the keypad issue shortly. It only affects the AQ in bacnet mode as far as we know and we’ll address it soon. In Modbus things seemed OK.

Hello @maurice and @Temco_Spring

As I reported, the keypad function of AQ was working properly in Modbus at the beginning, was working partially after I tried to switch to Bacnet. Temperature sp was forced to 0, keypad access to Temperature SP was still available but up arrow had no effect.
Pressing right and left arrow was not triggering the config menu

After protocol switched to modbus using USBrs485 , keypad function stayed in same partial function ( only effective for Humidity setpoint change )
After factory setting reset, no access anymore to any setpoint tuning using left/right arrows but simultaneous pressing triggers again the config menu.

So we cannot say that keypad is working now… even in modbus.

Il addition, i could never read or write AQ signal through control basic program.
I just would a roundabout to read/write them from higher level using Nani as a pure routing interface .

Waiting for your feedback to go on with my investigation before to buy a T3-LB controller

Best regards
Pierre