Tstat10 with three speed fan, single stage cool and modulating heat

Here’s an example for a recent project whic came across my inbox. The project will be written up for a Tstat10 but you could also use the same IO and any T3 controller.

1 Like

CONFIGURING THE INPUTS
As always give each input a long name which is used in the graphics screens and a short name which is used in the trend logs and programming. At Tab1 you can define the range for each input, the first one is a standard 10k type 2 thermistor and set to DegC in this example. The fan status is monitored with a current sensor which at first I thought it was an analog sensor so I may as well explain how to set that up. I guessed that it was 0-50A over the 0-10V range and this is how you would set that up. Select one of the custom ranges at Tab2, fill in how many points you want to use for the custom range. Most sensors are linear over their range which means you only need to fill in 2 points at the min and max of the range. The only other setting is to select the input signal range at Tab4, in this case I guessed it was a 0-10V sensor.

After checking through the project documents I realized the sensor is a binary output current sensor. It has an adjustable trip point which gets set up during commissioning. All the controller can see is the ‘on’ and an ‘off’ conditions so this is how you’d set that up. The range is selected as OFF/ON and the signal type is set to thermistor/dry contact. The sensor data sheet mentions it is a ‘solid state fet’ which is pretty close to a normally open contact so we’ll try it with the thermistor/dry contact signal type at Tab6. In this mode there is a weak pullup resistor on the T3 controller to provide the excitation voltage to detect the switch state.

Note: The binary output type current switches are means that adjusting the trip point means a trip out to the mecanical room to physically measure the load and ajust the pot on the sensor. On the other hand, an analog sensor which is very cheap these days, this lets adjust the trip point without heading out to the fan to measure the current. Plus you can trend log the current over time to work up some more sophisticated alarms, bad bearings for example.

1 Like

CONFIGURING THE OUTPUTS
Outputs and the rest of the application are coming soon.

1 Like