Ghost Network Points

I am having a hard time reading Bacnet point on my other T3-LB’s
It might be linked to the fact that there are network points showing up that I can’t eliminate. I have erased each and every program on the T3 that tries to read points and checked the one Graphics screen too. The new version of the graphics screen uses the remote points format but there are no points on that screen that reference a different T3. I am convinced that if I can fix this problem, then I can start reading points from my other T3’s again.
This one is running firmware 62.2. I have rebooted it and still the points appear on the Network Point screen. Hope you can help.

You can check trendlog also. But even unknown network points exist, it should not affect reading bacnet points

I made an interesting discovery. I did a “clear” on the T3 in question. Then I created 6 variables. Next I wrote just one small program to read 5 bacnet variables from one T3 and one bacnet variable from another T3. Everything worked. Luckily, I had a spare T3-LB I could dedicate to this task.
So my theory is that reading lots of bacnet variables with a T3 that is already very busy running other programs and tasks can cause problems. So I am very happy to dedicate my spare T3 to this task. I think it will be much more reliable.
Ted

1 Like

There’s no known issues about the T3 controllers not being able to juggle many network points and lots of control logic at the same time. There is one thing you could check though, all programs need to run through to the last line every scan. If there is an infinite loop in your controller you will see scan times up around 100ms here and it can cause problems. The controller waits till it actually exits the program till the outputs get updated, if there’s no exit then the controller doesn’t know if an output should be on or off. We made some tweaks to cover this situation over so you could try a firmware update if you haven’t done that in a while.

~WRD255.jpg

Finally! I made an interesting discovery yesterday that might help others. So I will detail it here. My T3’s were made a couple years ago, right after they started using the ARM processor. They all contain the 10 mBit RJ45 Ethernet connection with the integrated USB port.
I have literally spent years trying resolve a problem where my T3-LB would not grab Bacnet points from another T3 or would generate “no TCP” errors. The T3 that caused the problems was connected to an Asus residential WiFi router/switch. That router really appeared to be healthy in every way. Laptops, cameras, Honeywell TStats, you name it. They all connected without a problem. That’s why I assumed that the problem was in the T3’s. (I know about “assuming”, no lectures please)
All I did was put a simple 5 port TP-Link switch in front of the Asus router and connected my T3-LB to that. Voila! Problem solved.
So here’s the take-away. The speed at which the ARM T3’s communicate (just 10 mBit) and the ports used by Bacnet over IP are not what most network guys like me run into. Don’t assume that a router or even a switch will successfully pass the info that the T3’s need just because all other systems are working OK over them. If you’re having trouble reading info from one T3 to another, put them in the same room and on the same little 5 port switch. If that works, expand your network one leg at a time. If that doesn’t work, then ask Maurice for help.

1 Like

Well thanks for the good investigating there TD, the combo USB+Ethernet jack did have its problems and it was hard to say if it was due to the magnetics, the ethernet chip, the PCB layout or what it was. We just phased it out and went with a simpler jack and the problems went away. As always, swapping devices around with known good ones until you can see a pattern is always a good troubleshooting technique.

~WRD255.jpg