Consistent MODBus error following upgrade to 64.6

After upgrading the T3000 software on to the latest release and the firmware to 64.6 via WiFi, we are getting a consistent error in MODBus communications. The T3000 software is at (192.168.1.18) and the TStat10 is at (192.168.1.17):

The byte dump for the MODBus message is:

The byte dump for the received message is:

This is preventing real interaction via the T3000 software and we have the following status in our connection the to TStat10:

We are also getting repeated messages from the TStat10 with no response from the T3000 software:

We have tried updating the software multiple times and it works without issues so the problem does not seem to be WiFi related.

The Register Viewer software also seems to have no problems.

1 Like

Has anyone has a chance to look at this issue?

Thanks,

Jason

Fandu will report back shortly.

Maurice

Hi Jason:
After testing for a period of time, I found that T3000 can communicate with Tstat10 normally, but there will be some errors in the communication process, which does not affect the whole communication process. Is that what you’re confused about?
In addition, I found that your Tstat10 serial number was abnormal, did you perform additional operations on the device?For wifi devices, we will write some special values when writing the serial number, such as response delay time will be a little longer than other network devices, to ensure stable communication.In future versions, we will use the wifi chip of the ESP32, so there will be no similar problems. We’re still in development.
Below are some screenshots of my tests in normal use.

If you have a problem other than what I said, I need remote assistance to view and analyze your problem.
You can send your anydesk ID to sales3 @ temcocontrols .com

Hi Fan Du,

The serial number was corrupted during MODBus interactions with the device some time ago but had not proven to be a problem. Are the communication delays written in MODBus registers? If so what value should be in which register? For the serial number, it probably makes sense to treat it is a read only value. Should the communication timing values be reset when reflashing? If so, I will reflash the unit.

The problem encountered occurred after upgrading it to 64.6.

Thanks,

Jason

The second bit of the register 65001, if it is 1, uses a fixed wifi delay to communicate. We can ignore this value for the time being, as customers generally cannot change this value.
Can you tell me if your TSTAT10, is completely disconnected or does the communication occasionally go wrong? If the communication is not smooth, you can temporarily use the older version, we will update a new version of the firmware as soon as possible to solve the problem.
You can use this one.
https://temcocontrols.com/ftp/firmware/Tstat10/Tstat10_arm_rev64.1.hex

1 Like

With firmware version 64.6, the communication sequence always fails the same way after the same number of messages when we click on the Input button, Output button, etc. I can send an entire Wireshark capture file if it helps.

I believe that the issue is with the T3000 software as the problem persists with the newest version of the T3000 software when the TStat10 firmware version is reverted in the 64.1 version of the firmware.

However, the Register Viewer tool works just fine. If the Register Viewer is running, the Health is indicated as in excess of 80%. However when I click on the icon for the TStat10 in the Building View, the Health drops down to less than 50%. I can repeat increasing and decreasing the health indicator by switching between the Register Viewer and any of the Information, Input, Output views.

Note that the Register Viewer has invalid MODBus protocol messaging according to Wireshark.

1 Like

Can you please provide a download link to the previous version of the T3000 software?

I used the latest T3000 test 64.6 and found no issues. I’d like to log in remotely see if I can spot anything. Or you can upload a wireshark log for my analysis. This is the best method.

The following link contains the earlier T3000 versions. Close T3000, then re-install the older one directly on top of the existing install.
https://temcocontrols.com/ftp/software/T3000OldVersion/

1 Like

I have attached two capture files. Let me know of specific scenarios you might want to capture to investigate.

TStat10ClickOnInformationButton.pcapng (54.6 KB)
TStat10InitialConnection.pcapng (3.5 KB)

I analyzed your capture data and cannot see anything wrong there. Communication is all good. I still wonder why your “Communications Health” shows so poor. Perhaps its due to a poor wifi signal. You can temporarily move your router closer to the stat to see if that helps.

I am available for remote assistance if you’re around, we use anydesk for remote support mainly.
Thanks!

Hi Fan Du,

I know it is definitely not WiFi signal because when I run the register viewer, the health changes from below 50 with the traces I provided to above 80. The problem seems to be specifically with the given message flows. Are there any corruptions in the register values that could cause poor communication?

Thanks,

Jason

The signal strength will be shown in the upper right corner.
We will add the register of the Modbus signal strength, and add the corresponding bacnet value to display the signal strength.
I recommend sending an email to sales3 at temcocontrols.com with your anydesk Remote Assistance ID so we can find your problem quickly.

Hi Fan Du,

The WiFi is 4 bars on the unit and on our router the signal shows as strong. We can communicate readily with several MODBus TCP clients over WiFi and the Register Viewer Software easily. The issue is not a simple WiFi issue.

Using Anydesk is not possible as we are accessing a remote location and do not have administrative access to add software at the site. We do have Google Remote Desktop which allows us into the location. I could set up a Zoom meeting and you could direct me on what you want to see checked.

Thanks,

Jason

The wireshark capture you sent showed no errors. We put together a test environment in the office to match yours and were not able to see any problems. If you see 4 bars on the display then signal strength is good as you said. We are at a loss to explain the poor communications you are seeing but we’re available for an online troubleshooting session anytime, we use anydesk mainly.

Hi Maurice, Fan Du,

As you can see below, the modbus poll tool also runs without errors. We also noticed that the screen is flashing like on a reboot when we attempt to go the main screen of the thermostat. Is there a possibility of register corruption that could be causing the issue?

I have been too busy to set up a session late at night so just wondering if anything can be seen in the register settings.

Thanks,

Jason

1 Like

I think Fandu has uncovered some production problems with your help and has done a fix to make sure this doenst happen again. Thanks very much for your thorough testing and reporting there Jason. It is appreciated.