Checking if issue is being actively worked

Hello,

I received a notification for the following issue that referenced a load built on the 21st and I am wondering if the issue is being actively worked since I have not received communication on the thread from Chelsea:

Thanks,

Jason

There have been a few fixes lately related to Wifi connections and the ICC tool, it is a particularly hard tool for our wifi moudle to keep up with thanks to the rapid sequence of packets it sends out during normal communications. We do have a fix in the works but it will require a new wifi module, if you’d like to arrange a swap when it becomes available we can arrange that.

Hi Maurice,

The ICC Modbus tool is not key in this situation as it is really just a test tool.

We have found that the Modbus TCP communication in general can take some time even for only a few registers. I had asked the question whether interrupt handling was being used to handle the packets, but didn’t get a response. We needed to use this in our own product in order for the ESP WiFi modules to quickly process packets and the speed increase was dramatic. I pass this along because I saw that the module being advertised to the network is an ESP module and we have dealt with these in the past.

Thanks,

Jason

We have spent a lot of time responding to this issue, what we found as I said, is that the ICC tool sends a flurry of packets to reconnect. Other tools we have run across over the years and our own internal tools do not do this. We have done some work to improve it, now hitting 2 to 5% error rate and that’s about as good as we can squeeze out of the current wifi module.

You can swap any hardware you have now for the new Wifi module when it becomes available in a month or two.

1 Like

Hi Maurice,

Please reread my last statement. My point was that the ICC Modbus tool is not really the issue. It was simply a a test tool and not key to the discussion.

We see errors and the need for retries far more frequently than the 2 to 5% that your team gets from testing with other software and Chelsea had indicated a 1 second delay between requests which is very long.

So, I was simply asking if your team had looked at handling the incoming bytes with interrupt handling. We found this was necessary in our situation. It is only a suggestion based on our experience that I was offering in case it might be of use. I offer it because if it is not being used, you may also have issues with a replacement module as well… Just my 2 cents.

Jason

1 Like

Far as I know all communications uses interrupts, Chelsea can answer better.

Either way, we are very close to releasing the new version with the new Wifi module, there we have good control over the radio directly. Bear with us and we’ll get this new version into production asap.

1 Like