BACNet via MSTP Syntax

I have a program which is trying to read the state of a digital output on a slave controller to determine if it is on or off. The main controller is a t3-bb with a t3-tb connected MSTP. The BB is ID 10 and the TB is ID 11. Here is the program snippet.

10 IF 10.11.DO3 then enable OUT1

when the program runs is doesn’t enable the output when DO3 is enabled on the other controller

Not sure if DO3 is a valid bacnet object, I think it should be BO3.

I would set a local var = to the remote bacnet point

10 VAR1 = 1111BO3
< where 1111 is the bacnet instance of the remote device.
and BO3 is the remote bacnet object on the remote device.
var1 is a local variable, make sure to set the range to ON-OFF

Then you can check here to make sure the remote point is coming in correctly, you can check the status here:

And finally, add a line to set the local OUT1 to the remote point
20 OUT1 = VAR1

You can see the syntax for other network devices on main and subnets, using bacnet and modbus protocols here:

Okay,

I had initially tried using DO3 and BO3 but was using the ID nomenclature - i.e. 10.11.BO3 that I had found in the thread - https://forums.temcocontrols.com/t/programming-for-bacnet-and-modbus-subnet-devices/156.

I changed it to the BACNet instance method and it works - i.e. 199315BO3. Is it safe to assume that the other method has been deprecated?

I noticed that intermittently the variable falsely changes from true to false for about 10 seconds or so. I assume that it timed out waiting for the BACNet read of BO3. Is there a way to not change the variable if the read times out ? Also is the below valid -

10 IF 199315BO3 THEN ENABLE OUT1

It would be nice to be able to access infomation using the labels.

I had initially tried using DO3 and BO3 but was using the ID nomenclature - i.e. 10.11.BO3 that I had found in the thread - https://forums.temcocontrols.com/t/programming-for-bacnet-and-modbus-subnet-devices/156.

I changed it to the BACNet instance method and it works - i.e. 199315BO3. Is it safe to assume that the other method has been deprecated?

Sounds to me like DO3 is a typo. BO3 is the correct bacnet object reference.

I noticed that intermittently the variable falsely changes from true to false for about 10 seconds or so. I assume that it timed out waiting for the BACNet read of BO3. Is there a way to not change the variable if the read times out ?

It sounds like a screen refresh issue, run a trend log on the item and see if it jumps around as you describe.

Also is the below valid -

10 IF 199315BO3 THEN ENABLE OUT1

It should work. You can check the network points and see the item updating, hopefully. If not try with the local variable.

[quote=“maurice, post:4, topic:1754, full:true”]

Sounds to me like DO3 is a typo. BO3 is the correct bacnet object reference.

> I meant 10.11.BO3 doesn’t work but 199315BO3 does work

I noticed that intermittently the variable falsely changes from true to false for about 10 seconds or so. I assume that it timed out waiting for the BACNet read of BO3. Is there a way to not change the variable if the read times out ?

It sounds like a screen refresh issue, run a trend log on the item and see if it jumps around as you describe.

With the example of -
10 TMP = 199315B03
20 IF TMP THEN ENABLE OUT1 ELSE DISABLE OUT1

I see OUT1 turn off intermittently

Bacnet Syntax:
Correct, use Bacnet Instace and Bacnet object. 199315B03
Not the xxx.yyy notation.

Intermittent Output
Make sure TMP is a global variable, not a local variable.
If its a local variable it will be grey in your program.
Make sure TMP has a range of ON-OFF or similar.
Put a trend log on TMP and also on OUT1.
If there are differences you could fire up a network capture tool to check through the data.

1 Like