TStat10 on ESP32 Timeline?

Hi Maurice,

I was wondering if there is a timeline for having the TStat10 or next version on the ESP32 MCU? We would love to test that out when ready or be beta testers. We are running into resource and programming limitations that we hope would be resolved on a more capable microcontroller.

We would also be happy to work on the bare metal if that was an option since we have developed ESP32 products before and are quite familiar with the ecosystem.

Thanks,

Jason

We have the ESP32 in production on two items now, the T3-Nano and we’re sampling on the HUM/Co2/PM25 series sensors. There’s some new features now already which are specific to the ESp32 like webview graphics, the maximum expansion IO is has doubled from 64 to 128 and there’s lots more vars. Trend logs get stored on the flash of the CPU itself so you dont need an external SD card like we do on the current ST chip.

The Tstat10 is not far off, we’ll get there. Weeks, not months.

1 Like

We look forward to trying out the new TStat10. The webview graphics are also an interesting capability.

1 Like

Hi Maurice,

I assume you are getting closer to having the ESP32 TStat10 ready. I am wondering if you have a rough ETA at this point?

Thanks,

Jason

1 Like

…so close… weeks not months. The T3-Nano is available now with the ESP32 on board.

Are we getting closer five weeks later?

Development work is going on full speed but it’s behind the scenes. We did some trial layouts but there’s some work still related to the Ethernet port. We’ll make a new version of the boards next week and while we’re at it we’ll add a second ethernet port so that you can cascade the network from device to device.

We can borrow from what we have learned about network hubs from this project, a project we are working on for monitoring of cellular stations which uses the ESP32. You can see it has 5 network ports on the front panel. We’re getting there….

Hi Maurice, are you talking about the T3 or the TStat10 or both? The TStat10 is what we are integrating with our solution offering

All products use the same codebase so the short answer is ‘both’. The longer answer is we still need to do a PCB of the Tstat10 and there will be some work related to the display code. We can get you an early proto for some feedback in a couple weeks.

Is this USB to MODBus adapter (https://temcocontrols.com/shop/usb-to-rs485-converter/) going to be able to program the new ESP32 version of the TStat10? We bricked one of the existing TStat10 units while attempting to perform a WiFi based update so need to get a programmer, but it only makes sense if the programmer will be reusable. Also, does the new ESP32 version use the concept of OTA updates where the new firmware version can be downloaded in its entirety and then be fully activated only once it is confirmed valid? This would prevent the need for programming in the field when a firmware update fails on a poor connection.

This USB-to-Modbus converter can be programmed for the new ESP32 Tstat10.
The new ESP32 supports OTA updates, and the new firmware will not be activated until it is confirmed that the firmware is valid.

The USB converter you linked is a generic USB to 485 converter which can be used on all temco products, existing products and future ones.

the OTA updates can resume where they left off. if you run into trouble you will need to do the usual recover procedure of cycling power and flashingin the first few seconds, same as with all our products. There’s not quite enough room to store a complete copy of two firmware versions as you described but the unbrick feature I described here is solid.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I am wondering if you have a rough ETA for the TStat10 with ESP32 at this point?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason ,
We have finished the circuit diagram of Tstat10 using ESP32 chip and are in the process of Layout. PCB production will be carried out early next week. We believe we can make rapid progress in the next few weeks.
Thanks!

Hi Fan Du,

Are you using an ESP WiFi SOC module? I would be interested to know which one. If so, does it have an antenna connector available on the module? For the TStat10 units that we have used, we had to add an antenna to the ESP7S to get better reception. Having that option would be important because we saw poor connectivity on our sites that was remedied with the addition of the antenna.

Thanks,

Jason

The current design of the circuit diagram reserves the connection terminal of the antenna, which will increase the wifi signal.This is necessary for some special use circumstances.

Hi Fan Du,

I am not quite clear on what you said. You said it “reserves the connection terminal”. Does that it mean that the connector is available to add the antenna when required or it is reserved for use by Temco in only specific applications?

What we did was add a 5.5dBm PCB antenna via the IPEX connector on the ESP7S and it improved the signal considerably.

Thanks,

Jason

The module we’re using is the ESP32-WROOM, it has an on board PCB antennae and also there’s a spot to solder in a tiny conector for an external RF antenna, the technical name appears to be a ‘U-FL’ connector.

The Tsat10 default is with the on board PCB antenna. For some extra range you could solder on the U-FL connector yourself and hook on the external antenna. Guess we could offer an external antenna option on the Tstat10 as this ramps up. Some products like the T3-XX controllers have the RF connector and external antenae by default.

If you are using the ESP32-WROOM, then the U.FL connector will have to be added to the module at the same time as you are mounting the module to your PCB via reflow soldering. The EMI shield placement for the module prevents manual soldering of the U.FL connector to the board without reflow because the solder tip simply cannot access the pad of the U.FL connector on the side closest to the EMI shield. Additionally, the U.FL pad closest to the EMI shield is tied to the ground plane and is very difficult to heat up with a solder tip. We hit this with a module we had designed and wanted to retrofit with an antenna when we found poor signal strength.

I am not sure how our crew is doing it but I know they will figure it out. We’re already doing the external antenna on all the T3-XX products as I mentioned.