Connecting subnet devices over BACnet/MSTP 485, misc Tstat7 debugging

I purchased a T3-BB, 6 BACnet temp and setpoint (RTS2-N-LCD), and 2 Tstat10. I set up all the sensors and Tstat10s on the RS485 SUB. Only one of the 10s builds on the T3000 software tree. None of the BACnet sensors do. When I run the BACnet tool all devices show up. but the T3-BB is the only one that I can open. How do I build the tree with all my devices and how do i start working with them?

I am new to BACnet. I have an extensive knowledge and experience with Siemens Apogee and Insight. Looking forward to becoming proficient in BACnet.

The LCD devices should show up like any general purpose ‘3rd party device’ on the T3000 tree. You may have to update T3000 and also set them up as Bacnet devices and they (should) show up on the tree. I agree they should also show up in Modbus mode and our developers will mark that down for a future update.

Standing by to help out more.

What is the revision of your T3-BB? Can you update it to latest one rev62.9? T3000 should show all sub nodes. Or you an send me more screen shot about it. It is easy for me to check the issue.

it looks like it is 62.2. at least that is what shows up on the configuration screen. says MCU version is 62.2. when i go to update firmware the only file i have in t3000 is the 62.2. and i just updated t3000. where can i find the most recent files?

The best way to find the latest version of any of our products is to simply connect and go to T3000 → help → check for updates. The software will automatically tell you if there is a new version and download that to your PC.

~WRD255.jpg

i have done this and the file is 62.2. is that the latest revision? no t 62.9?

Now I have received my new Stat7s. I have 4 Stat7 and 4 BACnet sensors. all of them scan in with the BACnet tool, and eventually the Stat7s all added to the tree and communicated. Though this was a lot of messign around. it seems like the stats need to be on the RS485 network while i change the address?

so now current condition is i have a T3-BB Address 1 with 4 Stat7 addressed 7-9 and 4 BACnet sensors addressed 2-5 on the RS485 SUB at 9600 baud. Stat7s show up and are accessible. BACnet sensors do not show up.

Tempco scan results
tree view

You can try the update again please, we had an old file there.

I ran into the 62.2 issue and what you will find when you update via the help/update (download only) is that the latest update will save as 62.2 and not as 62.9.

If you go to the FTP update site you can download the latest version of firmware and then use tools/update for a single controller - select the new update (make sure the controller you want to update is highlighted) ping the controller if you want to insure communication quality - if all is good then select update.

Now when you go to settings, you will see which update is installed.

All updates since 62.2 continues to be stored as 62.2.

There was a mixup with the files, Chelsea has fixed it now.

~WRD255.jpg

1 Like

Very cool - thank you,

I did check it again just now, it is rev62.9. Please check it again.

downloaded and updated firmware 62.9. this broke everything. now i cant get stable connection to 3T-BB over WIFI. 3 out of 4 pings lose 25%. retrying firmware update fails. was going to try with direct LAN connection to my laptop. but i don’t have a LAN port. will try to find USB converter. Also can’t scan with BACnet tool, just these errors.

plug in errors

I found that by T3-BB was constantly rebooting after firmware update. after unplugging the 485SUB the controller stayed booting. still not a stable connection. long ping times and lost packets. was able to try firmware update again. both times now were “success” with 0 retries. but same result. cant plug in 485 on either the SUB or MAIN. nothing changed on the 485 net. only the firmware update.

1 Like

OK. we are standing by to help.

flashed the T3-BB by ethernet. that let me plug the RS485 in with out causing it to reboot constantly, Stat7s scanned in but came in just as MSTP. Never populated the setup screen or points correctly. BACnet sensors never scanned in. BACnet too would not scan anything but the T3-BB.
Flashed it back to 62.2. then Stat7s came in correct and BACnet tool is scanning everything including the BACnet sensors and all there sub points.
Can I add the sensors manually?
these snips are from after i flashed back to 62.2 i didn’t get any snips from when it was fubar with 62.9

JB: flashed the T3-BB by ethernet. that let me plug the RS485 in with out causing it to reboot constantly, Stat7s scanned in but came in just as MSTP.

Chelsea: I see the Tstat7s scanned and in the network tree on the BB subnet, good so far.

JB: Never populated the setup screen or points correctly. BACnet sensors never scanned in. BACnet too would not scan anything but the T3-BB.
Flashed it back to 62.2. then Stat7s came in correct and BACnet tool is scanning everything including the BACnet sensors and all there sub points.

Chelsea: I think you are saying that you were only able to see the subnet devices in the tree correctly by flashing an older version on firmware in the T3-BB, we will set up a est and try to repeat this.

JB: Can I add the sensors manually?
Chelsea: Adding devices manually into the tree menas it would be treated as a 3rd party device and no details will be shown. When a Temco device is auto discovered T3000 will pull up all the details from a database and populate the UI with data.

JB: these snips are from after i flashed back to 62.2 i didn’t get any snips from when it was fubar with 62.9
Chelsea: Generally the best results will be from the latest firmware which you can find by using T3000 → help → check for updates → download firmware & update device. When you are having troubles you should also update all the subnet devices while you’re at it just for good measure. For now you need to temporarily switch RS485 devices to Modbus to do a firmware update, sorry about that.

Summary: I will add a few Tstat7 and RTS-N devices to a T3-BB subnet in MSTP Bacnet mode and see if we can see any problems. More news shortly.

So if if i add my devices as Modbus i will be able to flash the firmware in all the devices? will Modbus auto discover with the search tool? do the devices have the same functionality on Modbus as BACnet?

Flashing: In order to update firmware of RS485 devices they need to be in modbus mode. Bacnet doesn’t work for RS485/MSTP updates yet.

You can update the firmware one at a time off of the RS485 network, that will be simplest.

Modbus Auto Discover: T3000 can automatically discover devices in either Modbus or bacnet. Keep in mind that you cannot have both Modbus and bacnet devices on a given RS485 subnet, communications will fail.

Functionality: Our devices work equally well in Bacnet or Modbus mode, you can use whatever protocol suits your project best. Bacnet is easier to integrate because you don’t have to deal with a large Modbus register list and the data formatting.

i flashed the T3-BB to rev62.9. then flashed one TSAT7 to rev11.3 the updater said the sensors are up to date. both the TSTAT7 and sensors read in. here is what i see. after flashing the TSAT7 none of the buttons respond. so i can’t operate it or change it to BACnet to see if that solved the reading issue with T3000. the sensors still will not scan into T3000.